At Members First Credit Union, we believe in the power of education and financial literacy. Once again, MFCU will be awarding a total of $10,000 in scholarship split between 11 students. We will be awarding:
- one $2,000 scholarship
- six $1,000 scholarship (one $1,000 scholarship set aside for a non-traditional student)
- four $500 scholarships (one $500 scholarship set aside for a non-traditional student)
Scholarship recipients are selected on a number of criteria including academic record, essay, leadership and participation in community activities, honors, work experience, education, and career goals. Checks are issued jointly to the recipient and the educational institution. Funds are to be used for tuition, fees, and books for post-secondary education (including but not limited to colleges, trade schools, and etc.).
Those applying for a scholarship must meet the following guidelines:
- Must be the primary owner of a Members First Credit Union account in good standing
- Must be attending or have graduated from an accredited high school
- Must be accepted/enrolled in an accredited institution and/or working towards their first undergraduate degree
- Written recommendations from one present or former instructor and one employer dated within last five months
- Must include transcript from high school or college
- Must provide an essay outlining goals, aspirations, college, and career plans
A non-traditional student would be someone who meets one or more of the following guidelines:
- Over the age of 24 and getting his/her first 2-year or 4-year degree
- Attending vocational, technical, culinary, trade school, etc.
A credit union Scholarship Selection Committee will make the selection of scholarship recipients. Qualified applicants will be notified no later than May 25, 2018. Not all applicants will be selected as recipients. Each scholarship is issued one time and is not automatically renewable. Applicants may re-apply for future scholarships, although scholarship recipients will only be selected a total of two times. Members First Credit Union employees and official family and their relatives are not eligible for the scholarships. All parts of the application including essay, letters of recommendation, and transcripts, must be submitted to the credit union by 5:00 p.m., Friday, April 13, 2018 for consideration. If all materials are not received by the deadline, the application will be disqualified. If you have any questions, please contact Mara Simanskey via email at email@example.com or via phone at 855.835.6328 ext. 1282.
« Return to "MFCU Blog"