Mobile Check Deposit FAQs
What is Mobile Check Deposit?
Members First Credit Union Mobile Check Deposit is a secure, online service that allows you to deposit checks into eligible MFCU accounts from your mobile device. Through the MFCU Mobile Banking App, you can photograph a check with the camera feature on a smart phone device and deposit it electronically to your MFCU account.
How does Mobile Check Deposit work?
With Mobile Check Deposit, you can safely deposit checks from home, work or anywhere else you have access to an iOS or Android device with a camera and a connection to the Internet.
- Download our free MFCU Mobile Banking app and log-in to your account
- Select Mobile Check Deposit Enrollment from the Payment Options tab within the menu of your Mobile App or Online Banking, read and accept the Terms and Conditions and click Accept
- Log out of your account, launch the Mobile App and then log in to use Mobile Check Deposit
- Select Mobile Check Deposit from the Transactions tab
- Choose the account you wish to deposit funds to
- Enter the deposit amount of the check and click save
- Click Capture Image
- Place your check on a flat surface, line it up within the brackets, click Capture Front. Flip your check over, line it up within the brackets and click Capture Back. Make sure the back is endorsed with “For MFCU Mobile Deposit Only” with your signature below the statement.
- Scroll down to review and approve the images of the check
- Click Submit Deposit
What types of checks can be deposited with Mobile Check Deposit?
MFCU accepts checks drawn on financial institutions within the United States, excluding its territories. This includes:
- Personal checks
- Cashier's checks
- Government checks
What types of checks CANNOT be deposited with Mobile Check Deposit?
The following items are not eligible for Mobile Check Deposit:
- Checks or items payable to any person or entity other than the owners on the account for which the check is being deposited
- Checks prohibited by, or received in violation of, any law, rule or regulation
- Third Party checks
- Post-dated checks
- Checks that have been previously cashed or deposited
- Checks payable to “cash”
- Checks or items containing an obvious alteration to any of the fields on the front, or checks or items which you know, suspect or should know or suspect to be fraudulent
- Checks drawn on your own checking account with MFCU
- Checks or items not payable in United States currency
- Checks that have been remotely created
- Items drawn on financial institutions located outside the United States
- Items previously converted to a substitute check
- Checks to be directly deposited into your IRA or Certificate of Deposit
- Money orders and travelers checks
- Convenience checks (checks drawn off a credit card for a cash advance)
- Amex Gift Cheques
- Checks that require authorization
- State-issued registered warrants
- Checks that appear irregular in any way
Why must the check be endorsed with the words "For MFCU Mobile Deposit Only”?
This specific endorsement ensures that checks deposited through Mobile Check Deposit will not be deposited again at a Members First Credit Union branch or at another financial institution. It is one of many security measures we have put in place to protect member accounts from theft and fraud. Checks that are not endorsed as specified will be rejected by Members First Credit Union.
Are there fees associated with Mobile Deposit?
The Mobile Check Deposit service is FREE to MFCU members making deposits to their eligible account(s).
Is my financial information secure with Mobile Check Deposit?
YES! The Mobile Check Deposit service is offered through Mobile Banking, which requires you to log in with your unique Username and Password. To prevent unauthorized access to your account, be sure to log out of Mobile Banking once your online account activities have been completed.
How does Mobile Check Deposit identify and prevent fraud?
We require each item to be endorsed with the signature of the payee and "For MFCU Mobile Deposit Only." This way, checks deposited through Mobile Check Deposit cannot be deposited again at a Members First Credit Union branch or another financial institution. The Mobile Check Deposit approval process also includes a review of each deposited item, and automatically detects duplicate deposits.
What are the deposit and transaction limits?
Accounts have a $5,000 per check, per day limit.
When will deposited funds be available in my account?
Checks that are deposited via Mobile Check Deposit will be reviewed and credited to your account, on a case by case basis. Most check deposits will have same day or next business day funds availability. You will receive a notice of an extended hold if funds are held beyond next business day.
If you deposit a check Monday-Friday before 2:00 PM EST funds will be available that day based on our Terms and Conditions.
If you deposit a check Monday – Friday after 2:00 PM EST, Saturday, Sunday or a Holiday, funds will be available the following business day based on our Terms and Conditions.
Who is eligible for Mobile Check Deposit?
Personal (consumer) members with an account in good standing are eligible for Mobile Check Deposit.
How do I enroll in Mobile Check Deposit?
To enroll your eligible account, select the Mobile Check Deposit option from the eServices tab in the menu of your Mobile Banking app; then read and accept the Terms and Conditions.
What are the guidelines for taking a good picture for Mobile Check Deposit?
Make sure your check image follows these conditions:
- Take the picture in a well-lit area
- Avoid shadows such as those created by holding the camera between the check and the light source
- Only the check you are working with should be visible in the picture
- Avoid having other objects in the frame, such as other papers, pens, etc.
- Take the picture of your check against a darker background color
- Make sure the check is not cut off by the edge of the view window, a deep shadow, or other objects. All four corners of the check need to be visible.
- Make sure the image is sharp and focused. For some devices this means pulling back from the check so the image does not blur.
- Make sure your check is endorsed with “For MFCU Mobile Deposit Only” and your signature
How will I be notified if there is a problem with my deposit?
You will receive an email within an hour of your check deposit stating if your check has been approved or rejected for processing.
After your check has been approved for processing, you could receive a Secure Message within Online Banking stating one the following:
- Your check is on hold
- Your check has been rejected and why
What steps should I take if my Mobile Check Deposit is declined?
If your deposit item is declined, you will receive notification by e-mail or secure message, indicating the reason for the decline. If you feel you need to discuss the matter in more detail, you can contact us at 855.835.6328 during normal business hours. Reasons that deposit items may be declined include:
- Ineligible check
- Missing signature
- Missing endorsement
- Stale dated
- Duplicate check
- Poor image quality
- Daily deposit limit exceeded
- Unacceptable item
How long should I retain my original check? What happens if I discard the check and an issue arises?
For your protection, retain the original check for at least two weeks AFTER receiving confirmation that it has posted to your account. When you are ready to discard it, mark it "VOID" and dispose of it in a way that prevents it from being presented for payment again. If an issue should arise and the original check is no longer available, please contact the issuer of the check to obtain a copy of the check that can be re-submitted for deposit.
What should I do if I need help using Mobile Check Deposit?
The Mobile Check Deposit service is designed to be a user-friendly, self-service product. If you need assistance, please give us a call at 855.835.6328 or visit your local branch during normal business hours.